Saturday 14 November 2015

GANESH UTSAV - ESSAY COMPETITION (GROUP - C)

WHAT DOES “PATRIOTISM”
MEAN TO YOU?



Patriotism as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary is a “strong feeling for one’s country.” There are many ways in which people show how strongly they feel for their country.

Patriotism, for me personally is an extraordinary feeling. It is a great feeling to be first and foremost being called “Fijian”, regardless of our race, culture and creed. It means that we are all sons and daughters of our beloved nation, the Fiji Islands. For me it means that we are equally responsible for the up-building of the nation and we are all the same under the eyes of the law.
To be a good “patriotism” Fijian, we also have a sense of duty towards our country. This is mostly aimed at what we can positively do for our nation as a whole rather than sitting back and waiting for what the country can do for us.

From upholding the laws of the nation to keeping the  country neat and tidy, I feel I should contribute naturally towards these aspects rather than having authorities like the town council and police pull me up and force me to be a good Fijian citizen.

Representing the country as a team or as an individual in any sports is another way of expressing patriotism for us Fijians. Although area wise Fiji may just be a dot on the world map, our Fiji 7’s rugby team has continuously been putting Fiji on the world’s largest “sports map.”
Another area where patriotism tend to make their mark is during wars when they fight in battles to show patriotism in defence of their country. Even though Fiji is a peace loving nation, Fijians have performed marvellously during the first and second world war. Our national anthem speaks volumes of our feelings of patriotism that we Fijians usually shed tears while singing it.

When I grow up I want to become constitutional lawyer, so that I can join the parliament as a law maker and contribute directly towards the national up building. In my spare time I wish to do community service and help and fight for the rights of those that are poor and vulnerable in the society. I would feel prouder having contributed towards the Fijian nation and being a very patriotic Fijian indeed. For I am a proud Fijian and this is my Fiji.


Joshleen Rita Kumar
Year 11
Rishikul Sanatan College
Winner of Essay Writing Competiton
(Group C, 1st Prize)

No comments:

Post a Comment